The FIVE major personality turn-offs that make you look ‘insecure, selfish and annoying’ – and everyone does them
- Singles have been warned about five common turn offs to avoid
- Dating coach Louanne Ward, from Perth, outlined each point in a helpful video
- When dating, avoid seeking compliments and complaining about problems
- Both men and women can make these unattractive dating ‘mistakes’.
Singles have been warned about five ‘common’ behaviors that are an instant turn off when dating.
Australian relationship coach Louanne Ward shared an insightful video on Instagram detailing each ‘unattractive’ habit – from fishing for compliments to complaining too much.
‘Whether you’re a woman or a man, these five things are pretty universal that are unattractive and a bit of a turn off,’ she said in the clip titled ‘dating fails that are turning people off’.
‘What really happens when you do these things is that you come across as insecure, selfish and annoying.’
Scroll down for video
Australian relationship coach Louanne Ward (pictured) shared an insightful video detailing five major turn offs when dating
When dating singles should never go ‘fishing for compliments’ or ask for validation about themselves. Singles should also never treat their date like a therapist and shouldn’t complain
When dating, singles should never go ‘fishing for compliments’ or ask for validation from others about themselves.
Ms Ward said this ‘shows you’re insecure and you want to be the center of attention’ and it ‘isn’t attractive’ to anyone.
Next, she said it’s ‘not good dating etiquette’ to avoid answering questions and deflecting the question back onto the other person.
Instead, be an open book and allow the conversation to flow by being prepared to open up to the other person if you feel comfortable.
Ms Ward said you shouldn’t treat your date like a therapist and avoid complaining about your problems.
‘Nobody wants to hear about all your problems. Sure, we all have a bad day from time to time, but if you spend the date talking about all the sh*t in your life, nobody will hear how bad your life is,’ she said.
Singles should also be kind to themselves and not ‘put themselves down’ in front of a potential partner.
Ms Ward deemed this to be worst or the ‘next level’ compared to fishing for a compliment based on the impact it has on the other person.
‘Someone has to be constantly pulling you up – it’s exhausting and it’s no fun for the other person, it’s a dating turn off,’ she said.
FIVE MAJOR DATING TURN OFFS:
1. Seeking compliments or validation about yourself
2. Avoiding answering questions and not being an ‘open book’
3. Using your date as a therapist to complain about your problems
4. Putting yourself down
5. If you continue to interrupt someone else when they’re speaking
Ms Ward said you should treat your date like a therapist and avoid complaining about your problems. ‘Nobody wants to hear about all your problems. Sure, we all have a bad day from time to time, but if you spend the date talking about all the sh*t in your life, nobody will hear how bad your life is,’ she said (stock image)
It’s also deemed to be a major turn off when someone continues to ‘butt in’ when someone’s speaking, tries to change the subject, or talks over the top of someone.
In the comments of the video, Ms. Ward was praised for sharing the helpful tips on social media.
Previously, she also said it’s ‘unsexy’ when women say ‘I don’t need a man’ or when men say nasty things about an ex partner.
‘UNSEXY’ MISTAKES MEN MAKE
1. Bitching about an ex or other women
2. Constantly talking about yourself without asking questions
3. Setting up a date via a text message
4. Telling women it’s easier for them than it is for a man
5. Not making an equal effort in presentation
‘UNSEXY’ MISTAKES WOMEN MAKE
1. Taking one hour to put make-up on to go for Sunday breakfast
2. Saying ‘I don’t need a man’
3. Too much eagerness texting too frequently
4. Being over-sensitive and crying as a strategy
5. Saying ‘You could be an ax murderer or a rapist, for all I know’