Adolescence is a stage of great confusion in which physical, emotional, social, intellectual, sexual changes, etc. occur, which at certain times generate insecurity in adolescents. During this stage, they build their identity, enhance their personality and experience a range of feelings they may not have felt before, or at least not with such intensity.
Social interactions become essential Because they feel that their peers are the people they understand best.
In turn, within the social life they maintain, The first marital relations take on special importance. The person who is chosen as a partner will certainly become one of the main sources of support, hence the importance of the type of bond and relationship they build and maintain.
every-time Relationships start at a younger age. For this reason, it is so important to accompany them in this aspect. The building of emotional relationships during adolescence is influenced by various factors related to the social, familial, educational, sexual and cultural domains.
These first relationships are essential and will be essential when it comes to acquiring useful skills and learning in adulthood.. They will begin to think and realize the meaning they give to the concept of spouses, What do they expect from this relationship and how do they want it to beWhat kind of person do they want as a couple, what does it mean for them to have an emotional relationship of this kind…
Today there is a lot of information and content published in various media and social networks about what “having a partner” includes, and the information that reaches teenagers is very diverse and of all kinds, which makes it difficult for them on many occasions, Differentiate between really relevant information and what belongs in a toxic relationship pattern.
As parents, it is important to make your doubts clear. Create an environment of confidence in which they feel free It will be easier for them to talk to us about the couple’s world and sexuality and to seek help if they realize that they are creating emotional bonds with those they don’t feel comfortable with and don’t know how to get outside.
What do you do when your son tells you he has a partner?
Here are some clues on how to manage relationships with your teen:
- Talk naturally about it. It will be important to find a quiet moment where you can maintain smooth communication. We must actively listen to what he wants to tell us, Maintain an open and firm attitudeWithout interrupting him and without judging the decision he made to start a romantic relationship with someone else.
- couple meeting. Sometimes, parents do not want to meet their children’s partner because they do not know if it is appropriate to validate this relationship at home. The truth is, By taking care of their partners, they will feel more comfortable And they will trust us more to tell us aspects of their relationship. In this way, we will be able to meet the spouses, find out who they are, how old they are, which school or institute they attend, whether they share a social circle or interests, etc. Thus, it is easy to In the future, they will be more willing to talk about the way they live their relationship.
- Do not force the engagement to break. Sometimes, we might think that they’re too young or that he’s not the right person for them, but It is inappropriate to prevent a romantic relationship without coherent and weighty justification. If he considers that there are aspects of the relationship that are “toxic” or worrying, it is more appropriate to talk about them directly with the teenager, explaining how he feels about the relationship, what he expects from him and what this is. Relationship brings. He tries to lead into a dialogue in which the teen verbally concludes by himself that the relationship is not entirely healthy.
- talking about sex. Sooner or later, they will begin to experience their first sexual contact, so it is convenient to treat it normally. It is important to create a state of confidence in which they feel free to tell us their doubts regarding the subject. Also, somehow We must keep them aware of their responsibility When maintaining a life of consensual sexual relations, satisfactory for both and in which they are protected from sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancy.
- Empathize with them and talk to them through our experiences as a couple. Showing that we were also teenagers and that we understand the stage of changes and emotions they are going through will help them open up to us. And perhaps some of the experiences that parents lived at that stage It can help them manage some of the situations they are in.
- Accept your space and independence. Sure, there will always be a part of your life and inner world that you don’t want to share with your parents. Having your own space is essential and vital at this point. Therefore, the task of adults is to accompany them without trying to control their emotional relationships.